Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hand Jobs/ Zombie Dogs/Death Rats @ Death by Audio 7-5-09- pics & video

Zombie Dogs "Thrashin" @ Death By Audio 7-5-09


All photos by Star
At the last minute I was invited to a hardcore show at Brooklyn's Death by Audio featuring Zombie Dogs, Deathrats, and General Interest. This would be my first time at the place, so I was excited. I had heard so many good things about this place. Upon arrival I noticed it was a true DIY warehouse type space with couches in the back area and blue and pink bathrooms. I also realized that Dead Today and Hand Jobs had been added to the show. Walking into the space there was hardly anybody there, except what looked like band members.

But soon enough Dead Today would start to play, on the floor, despite the fact that there was a stage. This impressed me and showed how much the bands really wanted to create an intimate vibe. At one point the singer came into the crowd and put her hand on my shoulder mine and sort of rocked me back and fourth for a moment singing near me, before going further into the crowd. The sound was probably the loudest I've heard at a show in a very long time, it was almost an uncomfortable loudness but thankfully as the other bands went on it got better- either that or I just got used to the loudness. But at any rate, it was a different experience from the typical indie rock/punk rock 'n roll shows I’ve been going to lately.

Next was Deathrats from Washington DC. The singer was pretty intense with her vocals and had some great things to say. In particular, that you shouldn’t make someone feel like shit because your life is shit. She announced the band has tapes, which still surprises me when I hear. Tapes are so old school, yet there are so many hardcore and punk bands that still use them and sell them.

Local act Zombie Dogs were another good one who was a bit more catchy with a shout scream hardcore sound, then super screamy like Deathrats. Boston's General Interest played a Slapshot cover set. The music was pretty good, but the vocals weren’t anything impressive and I could barely understand the singer.

Finally, it was Hand Jobs from Brooklyn. They reminded me of Bikini Kill and I really enjoyed their songs. When I moved to the front the singer ran into me, and I fell a little back but it was fun to see her moving around, the crowd really wasn't. The guitarist also played keyboard at points, but their should've been more of it. While most seemed to be enjoying the set, it would've been cool to see some people dancing around. It's not like angry, super fast hardcore bands like Trash Talk or Ceremony were playing. These bands were bands you could move around to, instead of headbang to. I would've danced around had I not being taking photos and been wearing my contacts. Next time! Next time, friends.

Videos and photos under "read more."



Deathrats Video 1
Deathrats Video 2
Deathrats Video 3
Deathrats Video 4
Deathrats Video 5

Zombie Dogs 1
Zombie Dogs 2
Zombie Dogs 3
Zombie Dogs 4
Zombie Dogs 5
Zombie Dogs 6


























1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I wish i could have seen them, too. There more as they are using a casiotone 101, which i also have one standing in my room. It's always great to see bands making use of unconvential instruments in it's scene.

    ReplyDelete