Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cheeky get outta here and play last shows in NJ & Brooklyn- review, pics & video

Cheeky @ Death by Audio
story by Star Beat
photos by Konstantin Sergeyev

Last summer I saw a band at the legendary, now re-located Knitting Factory in its original Tribeca NYC location. That band was fast, short (in song), maybe in height to, punk, and some might say Cheeky. Yes, Brooklyn's Cheeky was opening a killer night of music at the tap bar space of the knit. It was a sold out show that also featured Bridge & Tunnel, Lemuria, The Ergs!, and Bomb the Music Industry! I wasn’t familiar with any of the bands that performed, but being the avid show-goer I am I went with a good friend who invited me. The $8 show was totally worth it when the raucous, catchy goodness of Cheeky came on. I couldn’t help but move around. They were an easy band to get into. “Get outta here, leave me alone," singer Kate Eldridge sang. Straight-forward to the point, blunt tunes were the driving force behind this 4-piece.

After the set I bought the Chock on a cheeseburger cd for $3 from Eldridge. I was shocked at A) how cheap it was B) that I was buying off the singer/guitarist. What was even more shocking was when I found out that the cd was available for free on-line. What band/label gives their music out for free, I thought? I guess that's the norm for Quote UnQuote and other indie distro places. This was all a little absurd to me at the time, but I handed over the three bills. Kate was thankful and we chatted a bit before I checked out the rest of the show, which was pretty sweet. I really attribute this show as getting me into the Brooklyn/New Brunswick punk scenes.

Fast-forward to October when the band announced they were breaking up. It damn near broke my heart. I felt like I just started listening to these bands and now I wouldn't get to see them anymore. So many other Brooklyn bands like the Besties and Eldridge's other band Used Kids had announced their break-ups recently to. Rock and the Single Girl was somewhat sad, yet hopeful about this "break up." Jamie made a good observation when she said:

I've noticed that in this particular community, this 'scene' if you will, bands don't really 'break up'. Bands come and go, projects start and stop, and everyone kind of plays with everyone. When one of these bands stops playing, it's not this big thing, because everyone knows that new bands, new projects, and new music will come from it. There's something almost refreshing about this zen-like, anti-ego approach to making music.


Sure. Angie's doing her thing with Little Lungs and Each Other's Mothers as well as a new band and Kate E. is in another band, and that's all, as far as I know. So it's always good that members are still creating music. Maybe I'm making this a 'big thing' writing this big story, but I must give due credit to a band that opened my ears to such a supportive music community.

See below for the rest of the story, photos, and video.


Cheeky frequently played New Brunswick, NJ and hometown Brooklyn shows, some of which I was fortunate to attend. I learned that these scenes were really about bringing bands and friends together for a good time. I was fortunate to see them twice in a New Brunswick basement.

They didn't seem to make too much noise about their departure, but announced three last shows in what I'd consider some of 'the' best punk communities. They would play the Fest on Oct. 30 in Gainesville, FL, Pet Cemetery in New Brunswick, NJ on Nov. 27, and Death by Audio in Brooklyn, NY on Nov. 28. These places are where the core of their fanbase seem to be, so it's obvious places to play.

I was at the Brooklyn show where Zombie Dogs, Stupid Party, Slingshot Dakota, and Stupid Party also played. It was great seeing so many familiar faces, friends, and bands. In attendace were members from Vivian Girls, Bridge & Tunnel, and the Measure (SA). Zombie Dogs played a 15-minute hardcore set and if I'm not mistaken did a cover of Minor Threats "Screaming at a wall." "Thrashin" was a good one to. Stupid Party were next and I only heard bits and pieces of them, but they sounded heavier than I remember. Almost metal/doom rock tinged. Next was Slingshot Dakota who I made sure to get up front for. Last time I saw them they were great despite the vocals not sounding the best. Here the band sounded awesome. I bopped around during "The Golden Ghost," "Until the Day I Die," "Ohio," "White Couch," and "Michael Jordan Saved My Life." They also played a cover of Fugazi's "Waiting Room" and sent it out to Cheeky. They closed with "I-78." During the set before "Ohio" drummer Tom said that he appreciates playing all ages space and places like Death By Audio are great. He said it's important to have all ages spaces and that nobody should be denied from attending a show. It fits with the line in that song, " You made a home for everyone." After wards duo Shellshag performed, but I needed fresh air and a cup of tea, so I missed the set.

I came back minutes before Cheeky would go into "He-Man Woman Hater." There was crowd surfing, moshing, fist pumping, and singing along-what you'd expect at a punk show! They played all of Choke on a Cheeseburger, a few songs off their latest What the Heck and the single "Deal With It." “Look at You” was the first new song they played. “I don’t like you,” Eldridge shouts. On “Deal With It” she sings, “You are so out of line.” The lyrical declarations are blunt, giving off a somewhat angry tone, yet it's just Cheeky being Cheeky. On “Grow Fins, Turkey” the crowd went nuts. A few crowd surfers and even one stage diver were having fun. Before launching into "Get Outta Here," drummer Angie said "We're Cheeky. This is for all our friends." The crowd chanted for an encore after. "Cheeky. Cheeky. Cheeky." Bassist Kate Wadkins called Jeff Rosentock from Bomb The Music Industry to the stage to perform a cover of The Descendents "Coffee Mug."

Cheeky may not have toured extensively or released that much music, but they were apart of a punk rock scene and made catchy as hell songs. Judging from the packed 'venues,' dancing, and smiles I saw both in person and via youtube, I can tell this band left a nice mark.

Cheeky is Kate Eldridge on guitar and vocals, Brian Schleyer on guitar, Kate Wadkins on bass, and Angie Boylan on drums.

Break-ups are sad, but Cheeky said it best: "deal with it."

Cheeky in Brooklyn 11-28-09


Cheeky in New Brunswick 11-27-09


Cheeky in Brooklyn 11-28-09


Cheeky in Brooklyn 11-28-09 "Get Outta Here" & "Coffee Mug"



Zombie Dogs 8:50-9:05pm
Stupid Party 9:15-9:45pm?
Slingshot Dakota 10-10:35pm?
Shellshag 10:50-11:20?
Cheeky 11:35pm-12:10pm

Cheeky Setlist:

1. He-Man Woman Hater
2. Look At You (new)
3. Normal (new)
4. Bad Mood
5. Deal With It
6. Get Off My Back (new)
7. Weird World
8. Can’t Stand the World (new)
9. Grow Fins, Turkey
10. Small Snails
11. Get Outta Here
--
Encore: Coffee Mug (cover) The Descendants

2 comments:

  1. "...but I must give due credit to a band that opened my ears to such a supportive music community."

    Aw, I feel the same way about Cheeky. They were the first local band that I really fell for, for lack of a better way of putting it.

    Thanks for the quote-age, girl! It's flattering just to be mentioned.

    More than that, thanks for all this awesome local coverage! I'm back in New York for a few weeks, and I'm definitely counting on Star Beat for all my show and concert info during the winter break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Jamie! It means a lot. I'm glad that you appreciate my coverage and find it cool how we relate to a bunch of the same music. Stay supportive.

    ReplyDelete