Friday, December 11, 2009

Last Days of Empire played Fontana's w/ Leslie DiNicola & The Eighty-7s, pics

photos by StarBeat

Last Days of Empire returned to NYC for a show with Leslie DiNicola (formerly of Peculiar Gentlemen) and The Eighty-7's, two acts from the big apple. It was an interesting parallel to LDOE's ambient, heavier rock elements. Leslie was first providing a country/indie folk vibe with soulful vocals. While there was a decent crowd for her too many people drifted out of the room, seemingly more interested in their drink and chatting with friends, then hearing live music. I felt like the only really paying attention for The Eighty 7's that wasn't a friend of the bands. The 4-piece is fronted by singer Hayley Smith who sang the striking line "I can be everything to you." It was interesting hearing the line, "What if I said to you I was straight. What if I said to you I was gay?" given recent news. One of the band's shortcomings was the dual vocals they had times-they didn't compliment each other at all. But the music was fairly cool and the drummer, Eric had some sweet beats. Before LDOE came on the guitarist for the The Eighty 7's approached me and said, "hey, do you work here?" I said, "no," and he said, "so you're just here watching. Thanks for coming to the show." It was great that he was thankful, butI find it weird he asked if I worked there. It reminded me of the time when I was a studio audience member for Its on With Alexa Chung when Screaming Females performed. I'm a big fan, so I, well, rocked out. Afterwards, one of the camera guys asked if I was friends of the bands. This took me back. So you either have to be friends with a band or work at a venue to see a band or show some sort of enjoyment for a band, at least a local one?

Anyway, Last Days of Empire immediately changed the tone of the room with their louder, alternative sound. The band was intense and singer Mike nearly flawlessly shifted from soft to screaming vocals. The South Amboy, NJ 6-piece, while heavy is fairly easy on the ears. They shouldn't be lumped in with post hard-core bands. Last Days know how to build up their music and create intense, ambient musical landscapes that don't sound awkward or misplaced. The band was great to see live.

Tonight LDOE perform at The Blue Room is Secaucus with Streets of Fire, Eden Star, and Dispute to Flames. More info here.

Also, we interviewed Mike for an upcoming feature story, so be on the look out for that.

Upcoming LDOE Dates:
12/19 @ The Court Tavern, New Brunswick, NJ
1/15 @ The Saint, Asbury Park, NJ
1/20 @ Mojo 13, Wilmington, DE
2/10 @ Trash Bar, Brooklyn, NY

See below for pics from the acts!

Last Days of Empire










The Eighty-7's





Leslie DiNicola




No comments:

Post a Comment