Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Vivian Girls/Screaming Females/Mirrors & Wires played Court Tavern, NJ 1/4/09, Tour Dates

photos by thepiratehat



















The show was supposed to happen at the Loft, but ended up being at the Court Tavern, which was a better choice, even though the minors couldn’t get in, because the sound was better and I could see the bands. It was an exciting night with friends and one of mine was witnessing his second show ever.

Mirrors and Wires, from New Brunswick played first. They were a four piece instrumental horror punk rock band. What was interesting about this band was they had a theremin player. According to Wikipedia, it’s “an early electronic musical instrument controlled without contact from the player.” From what I saw it looked like an instrument that created sound without touching the instrument by making a motion in the air near the instrument. It was interesting. Pretty groovy.

Screaming Females, the trio garage punk rock n roll extraordinaires played a healthy dose of groovy tunes that entertained me and my friend, along with a room full of people. It was nice to see the band in a club setting, as opposed to in a house, where the sound is often off, the vocals are low and unclear, and when it’s packed hard to see the band. I felt like just the front row was rocking out. The band played so many new songs and ones I didn’t recognize, except was previous shows. However, it wasn’t hard getting into the songs. The last song, “Reggae” was a really good song. I’m excited for the new album, "Power Move." I grabbed the setlist at the end.



I picked up the band’s 2008 live cd-r and also a tape with lead singer Marissa’s solo music. I also got a pin.

None of my friends, except Steve were excited for Vivian Girls. It was kinda funny. However, Vivian Girls played their best performance at this show of the three times I’ve seen them. While they didn’t have the most energetic live set or have something in their set to actually captivate, they played well and entertained with some funny comments. “Tell the World” was their single and they played it so well. I rocked out.

Mirrors and Wires has one upcoming show in their hometown, while Screaming Females and Vivian Girls will be touring with big names, Throwing Muses and M. Ward. Tour dates below.












































Mirrors and Wires Tour Dates:

1/ 18 @ Death Valley, New Brunswick, NJ w/ Bagger Vance, Color Change, and Silent Way

Screaming Females Tour Dates:

NY/NJ/PA:
1/ 16 @ The Parlor, New Brunswick, NJ w/ The Sass Dragons and Slaw
1/23 @ Don Pedro’s, Brooklyn, NY w/ Shellshag, Cheeky, Emergency Party, Bonezone
2/7 @ Maxwell’s, Hoboken, NJ (SF Headlining) Don Giovanni Showcase w/ For Science (last show), The Measure [SA], Cheeky, Groucho Marxists, Pregnant, and The Steinways
2/19 @ Don Pedro’s, Brooklyn, NY
2/20 @ Haverford Free Library, Haverford, PA
2/27 @ TBA, New Brunswick, NJ w/ Liquid Limbs

Tour with Throwing Muses and 50FOOTWAVE
3/10 @ World Cafe Live, Philadelphia, PA
3/12 @ Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY
3/14 @ Middle East Downstairs, Cambridge, MA

Vivian Girls Tour Dates:

1/11 @ Kidrockers at the Living Room (for kids), NY, NY
1/14 @ Maxwell’s, Hoboken, NJ w/ Titus Andronicus & Spider Bags
1/20 @ Danbro Warehouse, Brooklyn, NY w/ Fucked Up, Pissed Jeans, and more

2/6 @ 4AD Muziekclub, Diksmuide, Belgium w/ Crystal Antlers
2/7 @ RoTown, Rottedam, Netherlands
2/8 @ Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands
2/9 @ Trix, Antwerp, Belgium
2/10 @ Triniaires, Metz, France
2/11 @ La Laiterie, Strasbourg, France
2/12 @ Woodstock Boogie Bar, Limoges, France
2/13 @ Point Ephemere, Paris, France
2/14 @ Proud Galleries, London, UK
2/15 @ Carling Academy Islington, London, UK with Black Lips

Tour with M. Ward:
2/19 @ The Apollo Theatre, NY, NY
2/20 @ Trocadero, Philadelphia, PA
2/21 @ Sixth & I Historic Synagogue, Washington, DC

4 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes! If this was my third show and did not know what to expect. My good friend marg invited me and I'm so glad she did. I had a good time. the screaming females are now one of my good bands that i listen too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish i could have been at this show. Nice Review!! can't wait to see them all live sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see any live cd-rs or tapes! I need them ugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure if you contact Screaming Females they will send you a cd-r. I know the tape, Noun, is available at the screaming females store. The cd was $5. The tape $6. They are both pretty rad.

    ReplyDelete