Melissa Ferrick and Mal Blum graced the Maxwell's stage on Friday night for a delightful evening of acoustic folk. Mal Blum warmed the audience with a cute, somewhat flustered set. Joined by Simon Olsen on banjo, the two performed some songs together or at times it was just Mal. The two had to immediately play upon arrival because they were late due to traffic, nonetheless they played a bunch of songs. She played songs from her For Making Art EP and Goodnight Sugarpop. The set was filled with the awesome "Tumbleweed," the serious "Dysmorphic," and "I Could Tell." Another honest song was "Waiting in Line" that starts "I went to a gay bar..." They closed with a Valentine's Day song that the crowd seemed to enjoy and find funny. “Tumbleweed” was a sweet one about liking someone who's leaving. “Cause you've got two character flaws...you don't know how great you are...I'm glad I finally met a tumbleweed...” The song continued, “She makes me want to curl up in bed with her for days...” The crowd cheered for one more song and the sound guy said she had time, but the two politely said they were done and made their way off the stage.
Now Melissa Ferrick was a pleasure to see live. Most singer-songwriters I grew up with in the late '90s included more pop-rock or alternative-rock artists like Sarah McLachlan, Alanis Morisette, Jewel, Lisa Loeb, and Liz Phair. Though, Ferrick was also around during that time I hadn't discovered her music until two years ago. For two years I had tried attending one of her shows, yet it wasn't until this evening that I was afforded the chance to. While she is a solo musician it's not fair to compare her to these particular artists because stylistically the song-writing and playing is different, as is the lyrics. She's not just a woman with an acoustic guitar. Folk was something I've only discovered in the past few years, too. It was nice to hear something different than the singer-songwriters I grew up with.
Ferrick had a nice blend of between song banter and storytelling, as well as brilliantly, delightful original songs about love, life, and living mixed with some cover songs. The 70 minute set started with a cover of Radiohead's “Creep.” Her version was simply magical. I'll be honest and admit I'm not a fan of the original, but Ferrick brought it to life with her soaring vocals. She then went into her 2008 hit “Break Your Heart” from her last album Goodbye Youth. Covers that followed included Lori McKenna and The Postal Service. The songs are from her new covers album called Enough About Me, due out March 2.
She had a friendly personality on stage and a perfect wit, talking about her drive from Wall Street to the venue, Lady Gaga, and being proud of who you are. I wish I could tell the stories, but they're the kind you need to hear live. I feel like if, maybe, there is something equivalent to shredding for an acoustic, than Ferrick played that. Her guitar work near the end of most her songs seemed to be improvised or played really well. The set was filled with songs from most of her releases including two from her 1995 album Willing to Wait. She said Happy Valentine's to everyone and thanked them for coming. She said that she was surprised so many people showed up. Ferrick closed with two encore songs. You can see the setlist below.
Ferrick returns to New Jersey on Feb. 27th at Asbury Park's The Stone Pony with Mal Blum and Christine Martucci. Tickets are $18 in advance, $20 at the door. Doors at 7:30pm and Melissa is on at 10pm.





Christine Martucci is OPENING!!!!!!! She is a beautiful soul..her music will touch you and have you movin and singin right along. Once you hear her music you will forever be touched by a real rock and roll diva in NEW JERSEY!!! Her work is from the heart and soul of her journey of life..
ReplyDelete