Released August 2010
Verona, NJ
Home Front Records
for fans of RX Bandits, Gogol Bordello, Mad Caddies, ska, rock
Where are the good ska bands these days? I liked ska bands in college, but nowadays I'm hard pressed to hear much about any, especially in Jersey. Sure, there's Streetlight Manifesto, but they've been at it since 2002. I seek something refreshing. That's where The Defending Champions, a Verona, New Jersey 7-piece band, come in. Their album, ...Of the Legend Convention, whatever that means, is a refreshing 12-song ska, rock 'n roll punch with a soulful, smooth, yet dirty style. Lead vocals switch between trombonist Matt Ryan and Jenny Hoastson or at times the two sing together.
Some notable songs are "Plague on your house" and "The Reckless Legend." "Hot Fever" is also tight with some great guitar riffs at the end. "I Can't Wait" starts with your traditional reggae guitar hook. The lyrics are at times questionable. Like what the heck is this band talking about? Are they trying to be funny or what? Like "have you tried some of my head" on "Ode to the Working Girl" and simply the title on "Jesus Wants You to Dance." However questionable, this is no put down, the songs are great. "Say Goodbye to Me" reminds me of some '90s song I can't put my tongue on. Perhaps, The Defending Champions shining lyrical moment is on "Things To Do," where Ryan sings: "people ask me what are you doing? You're not making money playing that music. Well I got a news flash, fuck all the cash. Money comes and goes. And I don't care. Cause I got things to do." True indie, D.I.Y. attitude! What follows is some crazy good horns! My goodness. If there was a guitar shredding equivalent for horns, then what's happening at the end of this track would be just that! There's also some guitar riffage goodness in there too! This album is simply good.
The band blend reggae, ska, and rock together for a delicious, danceable sound that is undeniably groovy, funky, and jammy. The band know when to speed things up and when to slow it down. They know when to make you smile and when to make you laugh. When to sing and when to play our their instruments. I can imagine the energy the band puts out live. This is a fun album. So get your dancing shoes on and enjoy yourself some The Defending Champions.
The album features guest appearances from Nicole Scorsone of Waking Lights/ Bern & the Brights on two songs and Jason Gleason formerly of Further Seems Forever and now in Old Wives on gang vocals.
1. A Plague On Your House
2. Hot Fever
3. I Can't Wait
4. Right Intentions
5. Ode To The Working Girl
6. Baby It's You
7. Say Goodbye To Me
8. You Sure Know How To Talk
9. Jimmy
10. Things To Do
11. Jesus Wants You To Dance
12. Reckless Legend

No comments:
Post a Comment