Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Live Review: Thomas Frances Takes His Chances & The I-Gods @ Maxwell's 2-12-10 + Photos

After the earlier Melissa Ferrick and Mal Blum show I hung around to see Thomas Frances Takes His Chances and The Invincible Gods. I didn't know quite what to expect, except that this was going to be different than the previous show. Yes it was. I was impressed-from the stage presence of I-Gods to the multi-instrumental TFTHC to the audience dancing, I was floored by the end of the night.

The Invincible Gods from East Brunswick, New Jersey got the crowd moving with their rock n roll sound. It was just guitar and drums, and a singer but the guitarist sang, too. They were a lot of fun. Singer Candace had great, sweet vocals that actually complemented the louder rock n roll sound. This shit was honest, too. They had songs about religion, drugs, and gods, of course. This is a band that should not be missed. We caught them in  basement in New Brunswick in 2008. My, have they gotten better. Fuckin' check this band out.

After was Thomas Frances Takes His Chances. Not quite sure how to describe them, but experimental rock or experimental folk might be appropriate. It was cool because members switched off on instruments. and they were lively. The band was fronted by a lady vocalist who also played keys. There was trumpet, trombone, bass, guitar, drum, xylophone, toy piano, keyboards, and accordion. They were pretty bad ass. If you like The World/Inferno Friendship Society, Gogol Bordello, Beat Circus, or pretty much orchestral punk or experiemental music, then check out this North Jersey 7-piece. Photos below.



The Invincible Gods



Thomas Frances Takes His Chances

 
  

 

2 comments: